Old December 17th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joy Beeson

Default Darn it!

It would appear that there are enough lurkers on this newsgroup to
hold a conversation after all -- all it needs is for each of us to
start a thread.

So -- do your hand-knits get worn enough to require repair? If so,
what is your favorite method?

I have picked up stitches and knit new toes onto socks, but I've never
done the bit where you ravel a hole rectangular, pick up stitches and
knit a patch, then weave it in at the top and edges. Does anyone here
know whether it works?

What is your favorite darn? After trying many methods, I've settled
on interlocking rows of buttonhole stitch for nearly all knits and
some wovens.

What do you use for darning wool? I still have a little Medici, and
right now I'm using spun silk (Gueterman sewing thread) to darn a pair
of wool slacks.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net