Old October 26th 03, 08:57 AM
Roberta in D

For queenly advice re scraps, please send a sample to me for evaluation.
I make lots of scrap quilts.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

"dogmom" wrote in
:

I finally realized why my scrap quilts don't look like the ones in all
those "quilts from scraps" books. I thought it was just that I had
lousy design taste (which may be true in any case!) but it's also that
my scraps are from 25 years of sewing clothes, most recently scrubs
for a vet clinic. So they're all cotton (good) but they're also all
prints, many big, nearly all bright, and fun! They *sure* aren't
solids or near solids like all those books show, which may explain why
that churn dash scrap quilt I made just never quite worked--because of
the prints, if I cut them up they tend to be a distraction.What
patterns like such scraps? They make terrific square-in-a-square but
I've made two of those--that's enough for now. They work okay in big
flying geese. If I cut them into narrow strips (2" or less) for Log
Cabin or Strings--maybe. Would little 9-patch work? Snowballs? 1,000
pyramids? What do y'all recommend?

Somebody oughta write a book for scrap quilts based on real-life scrap
collections (at least, *my* real-life! Of *course* the world should
revolve around *my* scraps! VBEG) But until then I ask my trusty,
beloved cyber quilt guild!

TIA muchly.

Dogmom