Old August 23rd 11, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Default Needing some tips about Dear Jane

Alexandra Hunter wrote:

Oh, dear, Trish. I can understand the quilting overtaking the 'proper'
needlework... not enough hours in the day to do it all!! And taking on
the Dear Jane early in your career is true to form.

LOL! Mostly, it's not enough $$$ in the bank! Also, like the real
quilters, I think I have more ideas in my head than I have time or
resources to complete. As soon as I clapped eyes on the Jane A. Stickle,
I thought 'Gotta do this!' Like all needlework, it progresses one stitch
at a time, so I do hope to finish it one day.

I just checked out some of the DJ links and *boggled* at it. So many
blocks! So many SORTS of blocks! Good luck. :-) I think the Kaffe
Fasset one quoted earlier in the thred is my favourite, love the
rainbow in the arrangement - though I saw an indigo one that was
lovely too. Not for me, though. I'll stick with my L-plates for now
thanks!

Oh yes, I liked the Kaffe one enormously too. The one that really
appealed is the 1930s prints (hadn't seen any of those in my LQSes and
fell immediately in love).

YouTube had crossed my mind as a resource, and I'll be doing some
watching this weekend while I struggle with binding, backing and
quilting a complete "patchwork" cot sized top I bought at a recent
craft fair. Good practice, and nicer than buggering up the quilt top
I'm currently piecing. Babysteps on all fronts!

Great idea! One thing that led me gently from stitching to quilting was
the chance to do huge, enormous quantities of appliqué on my first
quilt. It was all hearts and butterflies and nine patches for DD: quick
to do and fun to work at. I think that's the secret: if you pick a
design that really makes your heart sing, you'll finish it well because
you're more motivated.

I'll have to try and be a mostly-lurker on rctq so I can get some time
in at the needle. I have a two year old girl now who keeps me busy
when I'm not at work. She's looking forward to getting her first
pieced quilt finished soon - loves the colours in the jelly roll I
chose for it. This is my study in basic cutting and piecing technique,
so I can then make a lovely eye-spy quilt. We chose the fabrics for
that one together!

:-)
Alex

A little girl! How lovely! My little girl is big now - in her second
last year of high school. Sigh. Make sure you watch yours carefully:
they have a habit of suddenly growing up when you're not looking!

Why don't you come back to N'cle and we can be quilting buddies? ;-

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia