Old June 22nd 04, 07:59 AM
Patti

Hullo Brian
If you make you 'square in a square' blocks by foundation paper piecing;
and if you leave the paper on until you have sewn together all the
blocks, that will take care of the problems of stretch while you are
making the quilt. You could then use the fine iron-on interfacing
perhaps, or a fusible batting, to control movement while quilting.
If you can't use the quilt for ABC, perhaps you have a friend who likes
motor racing? it would make a grand car quilt for them!
..
In article , Brian
Christiansen writes
I was looking through my material, and from some previous project, I have a
big piece of white material and a big piece of black material. I thought it
might make a neat looking thing to use those in quilt with paper pieced
square in a square blocks, half having the innernost square in white, half
with the innermost square in black. For the borders, I have some material
that is black and white striped, each stripe being 1 inch wide. For the
binding I would use solid black. For the back, I might see if I can hunt up
some black and white plaid.

Here is the problem - I looked at the the black and white fabric that I
have, and it is a knit. In fact, the white has about 50% stretch in one of
the directions, and about 25% in the other direction. If streched on the
bias (or at least what I think is the bias), it seems to have almost 100%
stretch. The black does not have nearly as much stretch, but it is
definately a knit.

Can I still make a quilt out of this material, the ultimate goal is ABC
quilts.

Brian Christiansen

--
Best Regards