Old May 7th 04, 02:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

sewingsusan wrote:

Well Dianne - since I am rather new to all of this and have
self-taught myself with the aid of a 1/2 dozen or so books - I went
back to my sources to see who "wrote" that hoops are bad for satin
fabrics. I looked through every book until I found it in Erica
Wilson's "Crewel Embroidery" from 1962.

Yes, and Erica Wilson (If not the primary source, no less the secondary
one) was the one that changed the way Fr. knots are made.

She made a huge contribution to the needlework world and I bless her for
the proliferation of good design and steering a yawning public back to
the artform. The Martha Stewart of her day. :-) (That statement will
surely rile a good bunch of RCTNers.)

One of these days I will get myself a floor frame. Large embroideries
(like robes) are best done on them. You can sit on the floor with them.

Embroidery is like any other artform: the more you learn, the more you
realize what you don't know. There's a lot of myth or generalized
admonitions that don't hold up under scrutiny. Heavens, even in the
painterly world arguments reign supreme over technique. It's just that,
since especially the 1960's when canvas and counted work began to get a
strong foothold, frames became the mantra.

Because of your inquiry, I've been digging out some books on what needle
to use for crewel embroidery. Interestingly, there's those who think
chenille needles work best, those that think you should use crewel
needles. One noted authority cautioned that chenille needles break and
bend easily, so crewels are best. That is the height of the ridiculous.
Crewel needles are much finer than chenilles - which are like tapestry
except they have a point. I've bent many a crewel needle, but never a
tapestry or chenille. That would take a good deal of heat and strength.

In the end, you have to use what works for you and not take seriously
anyone's single-minded thoughts about "musts". As many here have
figured out through time: The only rule is: the thread goes in the eye
of the needle. Actually, there are more rules than that - particularly
if you pick up some esoteric techniques such as Japanese embroidery.
But in the main, that's a good rule of thumb.

Dianne

That was probably my
source... plus the RSN recommends the square frame for the "Fish
Samler" in RSN's Embroidery Techniques... I hope to get that project
done by next Christmas. Still need to buy supplies for it AND,
especially, work on my skills a bit more.

I am still in that steep learning curve... thanks for all the help!
Susan