View Single Post
Old December 12th 03, 07:49 PM
Elsa
external usenet poster

Default My yarn addiction

Sent this to a friend of mine when she sent an email "helpfully" letting
me know about a yarn sale...

--------------

Hello, my name is Elsa, and I am a yarn addict. It's been 16 days since my last yarn purchase.

I started buying yarn in 2001. It started so innocently. I'd buy yarn only when I started a
project, and this lasted about a year. Then I started to slide. I'd start another project
before the first one was done, and then soon I had 3-4 projects going at the same time! I'd go
to my LYS and touch the various yarns in the cubbies, knowing that I really did not need the
yarn, but then I'd pick up a ball or two, just to "try" them out.

At the beginning of this summer, the compulsion grew at an alarming rate. I started to buy yarn
for future projects, though I knew that it would be quite a while before I would have the time to
get to those projects. And then I started to buy yarn just because I had to have it. I did not
have a project in mind for the yarn; I just had to have it in my stash.

I have tried to keep my husband from finding out how big my stash is. I keep most of the yarn in
a big plastic storage container, but I also have some in my closet and some in my file cabinet at
work. Sometimes, I keep a bag of yarn in the trunk of my car, just so he doesn't find out that I
have acquired more yarn. I suspect he knows something is going on, but he is not quite ready to
launch an intervention yet.

I know this is my problem, but there are so many fellow yarn lovers/addicts around me. They mean
well by pointing out cool yarns and big yarn sales, but it's like we are all enablers of
each other's addiction. Do I have to go cold-turkey or can I wean myself off this hunger for
more yarn?

Ads