Old May 16th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Starsong

Default Sewing Question

On Mar 19, 4:49*pm, "SewVeryCreative"
wrote:
I think that depends on the personality of the person in question (you,
perhaps?) ... try to think of a project where the "reward" (the finished
product) will be great enough to outweigh the "dislike."

At present, the sewing would be for me. Where can I find simple
patterns for maternity clothes? I'm not pregnant, but one never know
when children may happen.

For some, that might be a purse or handbag ... for others, it might be a
wallhanging (quilt), for another it might be pot holders, and for those with
small girls, it might be a cute pinafore or sundress!

I want to learn how to quilt, but I want to do it by hand, not by
machine. I'm an old soul in a young body so I tend to be old-
fashioned in my arts and crafts, so I don't machine knit either.

What other interests does this person have? Cooking? Knitting? Camping?
Chances are, you can always, always, always find a sewing project that will
complement other interests!!

I knit, crochet, and I want to cook and camp again. I just haven't
had the motivation to do the latter two in a long time, or the right
equipment.

Also, a dislike of sewing usually comes from a "bad experience" with sewing
... for me, it was Home Ec in HS (and I've been told I'm not alone in that
respect). If you really want to encourage this person to enjoy sewing, find
out *why* they dislike it. Do they feel that it's too hard? Too complicated?
Tried it a few times and didn't get the results they wanted? Were pushed
into it by someone else when they weren't ready? Once you find the *why* you
can usually find the *how* of making them more comfy with it!!

I used to fix ripped and worn seams and I replaced a button once.
What really did it was I tried to fix some stitchin on my Dad's pants
around the zipper and I couldn't do it. I just didn't feel like
trying anymore.

Starsong

Just my two cents!! Good luck!!
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

"Starsong" wrote in message

I have been lurking the newsgroup for a few days, and I have a
question. *What is a good project for someone who doesn't like
sewing,but wants to get over that dislike?

Starsong- Hide quoted text -