Old April 2nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default artisan knitting machine question

"Pogonip" wrote in message
toypup wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It was properly threaded. I gave up and started
over. Halfway through, I had to unravel and the problem started again.
Thinking about it, the first time I unravelled was when it all started,
so I figure it was the tension, but I couldn't figure out how to get the
tension just right after unravelling. I tried cutting and tying the
loose yarn to end of the piece near the carriage so that it was mostly
pulling from the cone instead of loose yarn off the floor and that
worked.

Good thinking! You do need tension on the yarns as they feed - but
neither too much nor too little. The need for tension will be different
when doing fair isle, then for plain knitting, and different again for
tuck stitch, and of course, different for ribbing.

The yarn does seem to flow freely from the cone, so I'm not really sure why
my fix worked, except maybe it's really sensitive to tension? I do use a
tension wheel and everything. It goes through the tension wheel and
everything was the same before and after my fix. I don't know what it is,
but I'm glad my fix worked.