Old September 10th 04, 05:47 PM
annemarie

"GaSeku" wrote in message
Hello all,
I'm sure you are all familiar with the beautiful, fancy handles some

potters
have on their pieces. I'm not talking about pitcher handles, but casserole
dishes and the like. How in the world are they done? All I can figure out

is
they must come from a mold as they are too intricate to handbuild, throw

or
pull. If they are from a mold, does anyone know who sells these molds? I
suspect these very talented potters probably make their own since I can't
recall ever seeing two potters using the same handles.
Thanks, Gaye

There are so many ways to make handles. Extruders are often used, then the
extruded piece for a casserole curved and stuck on. Just by simply rolling
a coil you can make literally hundreds of different handles.
You can flatten them with a ruler, press them into something for texture,
roll them over something for texture, press the sharp end of a ruler into
it, turn and press again, then twist. Just sit and try it some time you
will be amazed.