Old August 22nd 18, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default stolen quilts - how frequent

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:12:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
How do you insure a quilt? My insurance company will not give me special coverage on quilts that I would like to show at fairs. They said in the event of fire or theft from my home, they will only cover the cost of the material in the quilt. There has to be a way to insure a quilt properly.

Insurance companies are *insert many bad words here*.

If you are an artist or artisan of any sort they will not cover your work unless you sell it. Period.

The way it works is if I sew someone a dress and they have paid me and taken possession of it, they can insure it for as much as they paid me for it.
If it is stolen or destroyed before they have taken possession of it and I have given them their receipt, then insurance will only cover it up to cost of materials. Same with quilts, paintings, dining room tables, or any such thing made by hand. You can take your hand made goods to shows and win awards including cash prizes, receive multiple offers for purchase at high prices, even have them appraised at a high value worth, and if they are stolen or destroyed so far as the insurance companies are concerned they are worth cost of materials if you still own them.

If Michaelangelo were alive today, sculpted the Pieta, and it was destroyed before he sold it, insurance would pay him for a block of marble.

NightMist