Thread: Baby Quilts
View Single Post
Old October 13th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Baby Quilts

My next project is to make several baby quilts, some of these will be flannel because winter is coming on and 2 or 3 will be cotton prints and solids all the way for next summer. Have already started on the first flannel one. It is a jungle flannel with lions, tigers, monkey and elephants and mottled beige, 6 1/2 inch squares. Will be 5 rows. 1st row will be jungle, mottled beige, jungle, mottled beige and jungle, then reversing the next row and etc.
I also have some prints of cats and dogs that are fat quarters and solids(regular material), so have cut them 5 1/2 inches squares, so have left overs which will then turn into 2 1/2 inches to make 4 squares. Then scraps from these will become a string baby quilt. I am not a person that wastes material so what is left that can not be sewn is thrown away. I like the idea of baby quilts because they will be easy to make. One quilt I might sew blocks or applique a theme.
Years ago I made a 9- 2 1/2 inch square patch block for my then future granddaughter. Since I didn't know if it was a boy or girl made the blocks pink, blue and white flannel. The quilt was wider and longer than necessary. Didn't realize how much flannel shrinks so after it was washed it was 2 1/2 inches smaller. So that taught me a lesson. Always wash flannel before cutting it. Still laughing to this very day.
Sandy$

Ads