Old January 24th 05, 11:44 AM
F.James Cripwell

Telnes ) writes:
Hello, My name is Theresa. I've been lurking for 6 weeks or so. Thought I'd
drop a line and get some tips at the same time.
(snip)
My question is this - While you are working a piece what do you with partial
strands. I've been using the single strand doubled and through the loop to
start a color.. It has made a big difference in the neatness of the back. But
right now, I have a wad of strands. i.e. 2 strands left on the length of
white, 4 strands left on the yellow, 1 strand of red,light gray, dark gray,
light medium and dark blue, etc, I don't want to toss them because the colors
are used again in another section of the sampler. There has to be a better way.
Any tips?

I have a solution for this problem, but it is not very popular. It
uses a "four letter word" which stitchers seem to hate; "Measure". What
I do is to look ahead of what I am going to stitch, and count how many
stitches there are of that colour or symbol. Then, knowing how many
stitches I can get from a given lenght of floss, I can cut as much or as
little as is required. Then one does not have too much in the way of
pieces left over. Needless to say this technique does not always work,
but it does most of the time. Also it takes quite a lot of trying before
one can do this reasonably quickly by eyeballing the length rather than
actually measuring how much is required.
To continue a little on this, I cut my floss into standard lengths,
first of all 6 at a time. When one has been partially used, I tie it
through the hole in the bobbin, and next time, may not have to untie the
knot. This also tends to speed things up. If by any strange chance you
are interested in more about making measurements, dont hesitate to email
me; rctners dont like the subject. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.