Old May 31st 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default Looking for tips, tricks, and warnings on beads

On 5/27/2016 11:17 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 27 May 2016 07:57:50 -0700 (PDT), Danny Breidenbach
wrote:

I've been working on TW's Celestial Dragon, and I'm not too far from the beading stage. I've never worked with beads, so I'm looking for input.

1. I assume it's best to do these last. Correct?

2. Should I wash and press the piece before beading? I can't imagine pressing after adding beads.

3. What do I need to prepare for as far as doing the actual work? I'm accustomed to holding the piece in my hand (I use Q-Snaps) for stitching. I'll need to work at a table for the beads, won't I? Can this be done with the fabric loose (no hoop or frame)?

4. What gauge needle do you recommend?

5. What am I forgetting to ask about? :-)

(I remember the olden days of the Usenet-based RCTN when a message like this would release a torrent of responses and maybe even set off a mini-flame war or something.)

--Danny

Good to see you Danny, while I can't answer your query Joanie can and
I am drawing her attention to your post

Well, late as usual! I was off camping in our new camper so I didn't
see this until others had answered all of the questions!

The only thing I didn't see addressed was framing. If you use glass,
you'll need to make sure you use a layer or 2 of matting so the glass
isn't touching the beads.

Speaking of glass, Michael's now has a "museum" glass that I love, love,
love for my stitching! Doesn't have glare nor does it have that blurry
look that non-glare glass gives. The only downfall is that you don't
want to touch the glass--the coating on it is nearly impossible to clean
if you get fingerprints on it.

I know people in the past have had lots of trouble with Michael's
framing but the one here in Grand Forks has excellent people and they
use all acid-free materials. Their 80% off coupons (at least once a
year) are a big help, too!

Gee, it sure is nice to have people pop in here again! I've been pretty
lonely, checking in about every other week to see if anyone's about.

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures