Old June 16th 05, 10:09 AM
Ted Frater

Ted Gittinger wrote:
I am interested in knowing of any cold-dopping methods that have been found
to work well, especially for opals. Will Epoxy work, following by
dissolving the glue using Attack or some other solvent?

Regards,

Ted Gittinger

I dont know about hot dopping but I do know about 2 part epoxy.
If I wanted an answer like yourself, Id just go adead and try it on
any stone that you can afford to screw up.
Certainly epoxy will hold the stone well.
you then need to try out the "attack" solvent. As you rightly surmise
if you cant get the stone out of the epoxy unless you use a hammer then
your in trouble!
We have the erquivalent here under another name.
works well.
However, the hot process of dopping seems to me the preferred way to
go as its quick, whereas 2 part epoxy ,unless youve the 5 min setting
time type will be too slow for the professional stone cutter.
Just as few thoughts over my morning coffee.