Old June 23rd 17, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Night Mist

Default OT Finally! Actively house shopping

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 10:32:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
oooh, keeping fingers and toes crossed that this is right for you!
New moon fortunes?

Well that was disappointing.

I had a tape measure with me and the listing flat out lied about room dimensions and total floor space.

The downstairs is OK, though the "Laminate wood flooring" turned out to be that thin self adhesive stuff you use to do a quick repair on cheap furniture. The bathroom is absolutely wonderful though.

The upstairs was an architectural nightmare.

At a guess? One of the owners who were a senior married couple (from published tax roles) became ill. We speculated this by the smell of the place. One of their children and their family moved back in to help out. We conjecture this by the description of an equestrian business that was running out of that address. We are guessing that this is when the stable was built and a couple of modifications done. One of those modifications was turning the upstairs into three bedrooms, in part by moving the stairs. To call the bedrooms cramped would be being generous. You literally could not fit a twin bed into one of them. They wallpapered the ceilings, and it it is falling off in a couple of spots. We think that originally the stairs had a landing and a turn, now they are a steep and narrow single flight with odd spacing, like who was meant to climb up and down them had legs that were not quite human normal. In changing the stairs they stranded the attic door mid wall about 4 feet away from the floor. Which is a pity because it is naught but a good big unfinished room at one end of the second floor. Why they didn't just put in some insulation, lay some flooring over the slab wood, and smack up some sheet rock is beyond me. I risked life and limb to get in to take a look and the room is even wired. Why go to considerably more work and expense to make a mess of the whole second floor when finishing one room would have done the job admirably?
DH suggested we lowball the place and see if they take it. My thought on that was well OK, but if they do take it where are we going to live while we fix it up enough that everyone has a place for their bed?

NightMist
still looking