Old November 16th 03, 11:21 PM
None

Peter W. Rowe pwrowe@ixDOTnetcomDOTcom wrote in
:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:25:41 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry None
wrote:

Tavorite: BINGO!! Thanks.

What do these stones look like?

All the references to Tavolite I've ever seen are simply mineral
references, suggesting it forms only smallish crystals. And with a
hardness of only 5, it's kinda soft for a ring. I've never seen one
used as a cut stone in jewelry, though that doesn't mean it doesn't
exist, of course. My expectation would be that cut stones would
generally be marketed more as collector things for people interested
in collecting cut stones of odd materials, rather than it's being used
in mainstream jewelry.

Peter Rowe
(G.G., etc. etc.)

I may have been a little premature. The description seemed to match
though. (I only have an ad from Mervyn's to look at). Quite glassy,
predominately yellow green, BUT this stone appears iridescent.

As soon as I looked up tavorite and saw that it was only a hardness of 5, I
had my concerns.