Old November 20th 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

Default STOP!!!!

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

Well I can understand that. Stash is good (to some extent)
but I have decided that stash reduction is in order. I
have decided that I really must not buy another stash item
till all half finished projects (and at least some stash
items [across all areas of interests]) are dealt with. So
far I've managed to stick to my resolve.

my yarn stash isn't horribly large. my bead stash OTOH...
i guess my fiber stash is a bit up there, as the llamas keep
needing shearing. i've been pawning it off on other folks
though.

:-)) I was just given an alpaca fleece by a neighbour (along with a lot of
dog hair from her Mareema). I've spun some but decided that it simply has
to be washed before use and I've not had to do that before. I'm worried
about ending up with felt.

you said you made socks with yours? what pattern? did you
put nylon in the heels & toes?

I never put nylon in the toes or heels but I always do a
reinforced heel flap of slip, knit, slip, knit etc on the
knit row and then on the purl row, slip the first stitch
and then purl all stitches back. I just use the good old
Opal wool pattern of casting on 60 stitches (20 each of 3
needles) but do the reinforced heel flap. Do you want the
pattern?

that sounds like my basic sock. top down, 1x1 or 2x2 or 2x1
rib for a ways.

Don't think there is much difference in any sock basic sock pattern (except
perhaps for the prefered method of doing the heel) I no longer faff about
changing the way I do the heel but stick to the way that suits me.

i've never used nylon either. i just wondered
how well it helps with heel wear (less sloppy fitting boots
might help more). i like the knit, slip for heals. i sometimes
do it in stripes.

Yeah, or perhaps washing them carelessly so they felt a bit?

I've decided that the next time socks get holes, I'll try "The Twisted
Sister" reworking of the damaged bit.

Don't know them. What are Lovkka mittens?

bulky wool, single ply, knit on fat needles (these are 9.0mm),
22 stitches around. they are knit large & fulled down, so they
are thick, warm & fairly water resistant. excellent for
snowball making.

Sounds interesting but would be rather OTT for my climate - stinking hot
here at the moment. Dunno why I was looking forward to summer.

Let me know if you need more of the Finn/cahsmere mix.

Fran