Old September 9th 03, 04:35 PM
Deborah M Riel

Default Flameware claybody

Has anyone worked with flameware claybody? I just started a class in
this last night, and I'm pretty excited about it. Any hints for best
handling this clay? It seems to be softer, stickier, and at the same
time grittier than the stoneware I'm used to. I found it difficult to
pick up my pots after throwing them, even after letting them sit for
awhile before touching them. They're just little pots to do glaze
testing on, but I wasn't too happy about the way their shapes
distorted when I handled them. I wouldn't want to work on larger pots
and have that happen.

My tentative plans include something to saute in, and maybe a tagine.
I don't know much about tagines except what I googled. I'm guessing
they have a hole at the top of that conical lid, but I couldn't tell
from the pictures I looked at. Anyone ever make one of these?

Thanks!

Deb R.