Old July 13th 03, 12:04 AM
Frank Martin

I remember in my lost youth, making paper pulp from old good-quality paper
churned up in a blender. Then a stocking stretched over a frame was used to
make the paper itself.
"JMorris" wrote in message
om...
Hi there!

I'm a Dad who is getting ready to visit a cottage with his daughter
and other relatives. Thinking about maybe trying to make some paper.
And have some nice downloads from the web for this.

Wondering if we could do this directly from grasses or wood. Maybe
some old rotton poplar trees. Mash 'em up, boil 'em up and then you
can do the paper thing.

YOUR QUESTION (Mr./Ms. Phelps!): To make paper you need to get the
lignin glue out of the fibers. Apparently either a strong acid or a
strong base will do this. Typically, in a hobby type situation, you
would use lye.

Is it possible to use something a little less dangerous. I mean,
having to wear gloves and goggles doesn't sound like much fun.

Would lemon juice or vinegar or baking soda work (well, not at the
same time)?

Look forward to any thoughts!

John-In-Toronto