Old April 15th 04, 09:10 AM
Adrian Brentnall

Hi Dennis
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Although it's easier to just drill the hole out, you can cut a circle
out from inside a piece of glass. Here's a method I use as a demo in
my Cutting Clinics. It's very effective at demonstrating "impossible"
cuts.

1. Score the circle you want. Unless you're EXTREMELY good cutting
by hand, I'd suggest using a circle cutter.

yes - was going to use a circle cutter anyway...

2. Turn the glass over, lay it flat on your table, and tap the
circular score until it has cracked completely along the score.

I've been running the crack by tapping with the 'blunt end' of the
glasscutter - your way sounds more controllable - I'll try it.

3. Turn the glass back to the original side and score an "X" and a
"+" to divide the circle into 8 pie-shaped pieces. (BE CAREFUL to NOT
run the score past the original score for the circle. Stop those
scores about 1/8" short of the circle score.

Tried this with 4 sectors - but not been able to get 'the first piece'
to come out - I'm sure that, once one piece is out then the rest will
follow without too much drama

4. Turn the glass over, again lay it flat on the table, and tap those
scores until they have all completely cracked.

5. Stand the glass up vertical and tap the center where the scores
intersect. The pie-shaped pieces will fall out leaving a hole in the
glass.

Presumably to the accompanyment of a drum-roll g - certainly sounds
like Magic! - I'll gve it a try.

You can also use this same method to cut out extremely complex shapes
other than circles.

I think I'll stick to circles for the time being - but what kind of
shapes were you thinking of ...?

Many thanks
Adrian
Suffolk UK