Old July 9th 05, 02:38 PM
Herb

Jackie T wrote:

I'm just starting out with this hobby - literally, just assembling my f=

irst=20
house kit.
I've read through the FAQ resources & many of the past messages, but I =

can't=20
see the answer to my question, which is:
=20
If I buy a doll figure to go in my house (paying about =A320) will I be=

able=20
to change her dress?
=20
I'm not some sort of nut, but I see that I can buy 'undressed' figures =

&=20
dressed ones, and I can get dresses on bodyforms (which I presume are=20
removeable dolls' clothes).
=20
I'm nowhere near actually buying any figures, yet, but having spent the=

last=20
week with my nose in several miniature catalogues, this seems to be my =

burning question of the week!
=20
By way of an introduction, I'm in the UK (East Yorkshire) & am female :=

)
=20
Jackie=20
=20

Hi Jackie, welcome to the hobby and to the group!

The answer to your question "will I be able to change her dress" is, like=
so=20
many answers, "It depends!"

Some of the raiment of pre-dressed dolls is an intrinsic part of the doll=
s'=20
construction, and removing a sleeve will remove the associated arm. Other=
s may=20
require the removal of stitches that hold the garment to the body, some m=
ay be=20
glued together and hard to take apart. If you're spending close to US$40=
for a=20
doll, I would certainly hope that its dress was already suitable.

Like people, dolls come in an almost infinite number of shapes and sizes.=
=20
"Off-the-rack" or "on the dressform" clothing may or not fit. My wife ha=
s done=20
as much altering of dolls' clothes as she has her own wardrobe - and ofte=
n finds=20
that sewing a new outfit from scratch gives better results whether for Do=
lls OR=20
Humans!

Many of the pre-dressed figures look absolutely terrible to me. Particul=
arly=20
the German "Faller" line, all of whose garments are over-thick and not to=
scale.=20
Adult figures look like they're swaddled in blankets or in one of those c=
hild's=20
snowsuits that make them immobile!

Most of our own doll houses and display rooms have no human figures; real=
istic=20
ones that are appropriate to a scene are very difficult to find. We have =
used=20
some figurines that are completely solid - usually cast resin, because it=
's=20
easier to have realistically draped miniature fabric in that way than to =
force=20
real fabric to drape and fold in scale!

- Herb