Old January 16th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default Pecan Pie recipe

On 12/01/11 15:12, Roberta wrote:
Most recipes seem to need Karo syrup. But since I live in a Karo-free
zone (Germany), I like this recipe. It has NEVER failed.

1 cup sugar (I sometimes use half and half brown and white)
2 beaten eggs
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
1 cup pecans (I usually use about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup raisins (definitely optional! But this is really good using
dried cranberries or chopped candied ginger.)

Melt the butter in the milk. Spread nuts and fruit in the unbaked pie
shell (see below). Beat sugar and eggs into the milk mixture and pour
over the nuts/fruit. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. cool before
serving.

Pie crust:
6 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoons sugar (If you want to use this for e.g. a quiche,
leave out the sugar and give it a pinch of salt instead.)
1 cup flour (Place a tablespoon of cornstarch in the bottom of the cup
before measuring -makes a lighter pastry.)
Cut these ingredients together (or use a food processor) until it
resembles fine crumbs. Then add just enough cold water to hold it
together. The dough shouldn't be sticky. The amount of water depends
very much on humidity -sorry! But a spoonful is usually enough in my
humid climate.
Let the dough rest for half an hour before you roll it out.

Roberta in D

Thank you again - I made this last night, but cheated with a pre-made
pie shell from the supermarket, and the filling JUST fitted in. The pie
was a success in the making and the eating. I used dried cranberries
and found that their tartness contrasts very pleasingly with the
sweetness of the filling. When less pressed for time I will do the
whole thing from scratch.

Lizzy