Old October 11th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Pensioners e-petition/Please help

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

The poster was talking about UK.

I hadn't realized that the poster was in the UK.

Some petitions help to make people attentive to the problem ,,,, some
don`t

And the.gov ones here don't. Even paper ones don't. Even a couple of
million marchers didn't ... :-(

Actually, one paper petition DID work - the only one which ever has. That
was to protest against re-arming in 1939. When re-arming became vital it was
so late as to cause a lot of wasted time and lives.

Still, it's nice to think that the little people might be able to make
*some* kind of difference... or at least try.

But all that could do would be to make the people who 'sign' feel good, that
they'd done something.

There's a lot in the UK news right now about these 'petitions', it's
recognised that they're worthless.

Maybe if everyone who grew up in the 60's (Hippies) had stuck with our
beliefs about trying to save the environment, the horrendous effects from
Global Warming might not be happening now.

Well, I brought up five children in the 60s and they have stuck with the
values we taught them. It might not achieve more than a drop in the oceon
but it's more than would happen if 60 million people 'signed' these
e-petitions.

Instead, everyone is panicing now trying to figure out how to fix the
problem.

Sadly, not veryone is. Not everyone admits that there's a problem. Some who
do pay lip service to the problem won't do anything about it on 'economi'c
grounds. Most people are selfish and won't change their lives and argue that
they're right.

So even if petitions (for or against *most* things) might not work in some
countries... it can't hurt to at least try, right?

It can't hurt but it's a waste of bandwidth and finger energy.

I really do believe that.

There have been huge marches here against the illegal invasion of Iraq,
against government laws which don't take heed of environmental issues,
against the laws which diminish human activities.

The government's reply?

On the first, that we're lucky to live in a country where we're free to
march.

On the others? Silence.

I don't believe that anyone in the government even looks at the e-petitions,
putting them on their website is a sop to the gullible.

I really do believe that, we're being taken for a ride. They're treating us
like fools and I'm not going to bite their bait.

Big hugs back!

Mary