Old January 30th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Default Floss Organizing System ??

Lucille wrote:

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:

I know this has been asked and answered a gazillion times, but I'm dense
and
I never really paid attention.

I got extremely frustrated this afternoon looking for a certain color
of
DMC thread (I never did find it) and I decided it's time to do something
about my messy system.

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

Systems tried and discarded:

floss braided onto white plastic rings and rings placed on large metal
rings - advantage to this: you can pull out one thread at a time, it's
all precut
disadvantage: awkward once you have a lot of floss, time spent
braiding it onto the rings, no place for leftover useful bits

Lo-Ran - Advantage: hmmm, I can't think of any - wait, it's precut
disadvantages: time spent putting floss into system, I ended up with
four binder things so it was exactly fast to find what I was looking
for, no place for leftover useful bits, not a lot of room for multiple
skeins

bobbins - I admit I never had my entire collection on bobbins. I tried
to start to use this system. Used it with a large project. I hated the
time spent winding onto bobbins. Didn't like the kinks in the floss

What I use now - it's not perfect - but I'm a floss-away bag person -
I have all the DMC colors in bags on large metal rings and all rings
are stored in one Rubbermaid tote with a DMC color chart
Advantages: can store multiple skeins in one bag, place for leftover
useful bits
disadvantages: takes up a lot of room, sometimes have to hunt for the
correct ring (it's always on the bottom)

Good luck deciding!

Donna in Virginia

I kind of use a similar system now. Plastic Bags and rings or boxes sorted
by color. I'm running out of room and it's getting messy so I decided that
I need something neater. I think I'll try the bobbins and see. It's not
that big an investment so I'll give it a shot. Winding the bobbins ought to
be great fun. I imagine it's something like watching paint dry, but maybe
that's what I need to keep me out of trouble.

I suppose I'll still have to use plastic baggies for the extra skeins and
I have a little cabinet with drawers that so far is big enough for the
specialty stuff. I don't have a lot of silks so for now I have a very nice
box that they fit in nicely.

Thanks to everyone for their good advice. It really gave me incite and
helped me to make a decision.

RCTNers always come through.

Lucille

BTW, I put all the specialty flosses on big rings. My bed has a tall
cupboard each side of it, by the headboard.( The lower part are
drawers). I put the adhesive hooks on the inner side of the door, and
hang the WDW, GAST etc all on those. The little cupboards also have
shelves, and five Darice boxes fit nicely on top of each other on a
shelf. For beads I bought the watchmaker boxes from Lee something (
brain fart). Each has a bunch of tiny circular tins with clear tops, so
you can see the beads. I stack these boxes too. In a yard sale I found
some lovely small square boxes, about 4 inches square, and the height of
kreinik spools. DH is now on some sort of cream, and the inserts in the
medicine box, when cut down, make wonderful dividers for the kreinik.

Gill