Old January 30th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default Floss Organizing System ??

On Jan 29, 5:12 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
I know this has been asked and answered a gazillion times, but I'm dense
and
I never really paid attention.

I got extremely frustrated this afternoon looking for a certain color
of
DMC thread (I never did find it) and I decided it's time to do something
about my messy system.

So what's the consensus on the best, easiest way to organize thread?

This time I promise to be good and listen.

Lucille

Systems tried and discarded:

floss braided onto white plastic rings and rings placed on large metal
rings - advantage to this: you can pull out one thread at a time, it's
all precut
disadvantage: awkward once you have a lot of floss, time spent
braiding it onto the rings, no place for leftover useful bits

Lo-Ran - Advantage: hmmm, I can't think of any - wait, it's precut
disadvantages: time spent putting floss into system, I ended up with
four binder things so it was exactly fast to find what I was looking
for, no place for leftover useful bits, not a lot of room for multiple
skeins

bobbins - I admit I never had my entire collection on bobbins. I tried
to start to use this system. Used it with a large project. I hated the
time spent winding onto bobbins. Didn't like the kinks in the floss

What I use now - it's not perfect - but I'm a floss-away bag person -
I have all the DMC colors in bags on large metal rings and all rings
are stored in one Rubbermaid tote with a DMC color chart
Advantages: can store multiple skeins in one bag, place for leftover
useful bits
disadvantages: takes up a lot of room, sometimes have to hunt for the
correct ring (it's always on the bottom)

Good luck deciding!

Donna in Virginia

I kind of use a similar system now. Plastic Bags and rings or boxes sorted
by color. I'm running out of room and it's getting messy so I decided that
I need something neater. I think I'll try the bobbins and see. It's not
that big an investment so I'll give it a shot. Winding the bobbins ought to
be great fun. I imagine it's something like watching paint dry, but maybe
that's what I need to keep me out of trouble.

I suppose I'll still have to use plastic baggies for the extra skeins and
I have a little cabinet with drawers that so far is big enough for the
specialty stuff. I don't have a lot of silks so for now I have a very nice
box that they fit in nicely.

Thanks to everyone for their good advice. It really gave me incite and
helped me to make a decision.

RCTNers always come through.

Lucille