Old February 12th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

Default Gauge Poll

It does depend a lot on the yarn. I got some hand spun hand dyed
worsted weight merino wool from our farmer's market. It has a very
loose spin - hardly any twist. My mittens use size 4 (all sizes US)
for the ribbed cuff and size 6 for the body. This created a firm but
flexible fabric. I originally tried size 4 for the body as well but
the resulting fabric was stiff, not flexible, and hardly stretchy at
all.

I have some bamboo yarn that I'm still swatching. The band on the
yarn says size 6-8 needles but I find the fabric too loose at even the
lowest number and I'm still trying sizes.

Alison

On Feb 11, 5:11 pm, wrote:
Last November, I stated knitting series of swatches in the same yarn and
stitch pattern but in with different sized needles. For example, I would
knit Lion Brand wool in the same stitch on USA size 1, 3, 5, & 7 needles.
then every time I was talking to someone, I would pull the swatches out and
ask them what they thought of the various swatches. Thinner yarns such, as
Paton's classic got swatched on 0, 2, 4, & 6.

The results have been surprisingly consistent. When shown a series, worsted
weight yarns knit on 6, 7 & 8 needles are described as too loose or
flimsy. When shown a series people like worsted weight yarns knit on 2, 3,
& 4 sized needles. When shown a series people think that worsted weight
yarns knit on size 1 needles do not show the pattern or consider the pattern
too small or dainty for an adult.

People seem to like worsted weight yarns knit at 5+ to 6+ stitches per inch
when shown a selection. At this point, I have posed the question to enough
people that my poll is starting to have some real statistical power. (And,
my wife is starting to have second thoughts about me letting go out of the
house or inviting her friends over. She even pities the religious
missionaries that come by, as they get invited in, and sat down at the table
with a series of knitting swatches in front of them.)

So, in your heart of hearts, what gauge do you like for knit woolens? Not
what gauge do you like to knit, or what gauge is easy to knit, but what
makes the most wonderful fabric?

Aaron