Old February 12th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Gauge Poll

I think you're right there Aaron, for sweaters and things that I
wear to keep warm with, I want a tighter knit fabric, hence smaller
needle size. I made an aran sweater with 6's and the cables showed up
nicely. I like my socks to be a tighter knit too unless I'm using a
lace pattern. I cringe when I see those patterns for instant
gratification projects such as scarves and sweaters knit on the
gigantic needles! I don't mind taking longer on a project as long as
it looks nice.
Heehee, I'm the same way about showing everybody my knitting
stuff. When my son and his Marine friends come over I whip out the
afghans, sweaters and socks. Surprisingly, they LIKE to look at
them. I think everyone that comes over is pretty well used to me
doing that so they don't mind me showing them my stuff. In fact, a
lot of people have asked me to make them something and I'm happy to do
so. I like to keep my hands busy especially in the evenings when
we're all watching t.v.
Marie and the cats

On Feb 11, 5:11 pm, wrote:
Last November, I stated knitting series of swatches in the same yarn and
stitch pattern but in with different sized needles. For example, I would
knit Lion Brand wool in the same stitch on USA size 1, 3, 5, & 7 needles.
then every time I was talking to someone, I would pull the swatches out and
ask them what they thought of the various swatches. Thinner yarns such, as
Paton's classic got swatched on 0, 2, 4, & 6.

The results have been surprisingly consistent. When shown a series, worsted
weight yarns knit on 6, 7 & 8 needles are described as too loose or
flimsy. When shown a series people like worsted weight yarns knit on 2, 3,
& 4 sized needles. When shown a series people think that worsted weight
yarns knit on size 1 needles do not show the pattern or consider the pattern
too small or dainty for an adult.

People seem to like worsted weight yarns knit at 5+ to 6+ stitches per inch
when shown a selection. At this point, I have posed the question to enough
people that my poll is starting to have some real statistical power. (And,
my wife is starting to have second thoughts about me letting go out of the
house or inviting her friends over. She even pities the religious
missionaries that come by, as they get invited in, and sat down at the table
with a series of knitting swatches in front of them.)

So, in your heart of hearts, what gauge do you like for knit woolens? Not
what gauge do you like to knit, or what gauge is easy to knit, but what
makes the most wonderful fabric?

Aaron