Old December 21st 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
stampingmaniac

Default Are you interested?

After some thought, I think I have to agree with Gina that it might not
be a good idea to disband the usenet group entirely. My vote would be
to keep the conversation here, but create a site where members can post
pictures to share, whether in the form of a second google group similar
to what rec.crafts.textiles.needlework did or the winkflash site Misty
originally proposed or something else. Then all we'd have to do is
post and say "check out my new creations in the December folder on URL
here."

Just my two cents,
Barbara

Gina Bull wrote:
If somebody sets up a Google Group that is not a Usenet newsgroup
(rec.crafts.rubberstamping is a Usenet newsgroup) then a significant
portion of the readership will not have *Usenet* access to that group.
Google Groups, for example, only exist on the Google site, and the user
interface is controlled by Google. This is also true of other web-based forums.

A Usenet newsgroup is transmitted to hundreds of thousands of news servers
worldwide, and any newsreader software (like Agent, gnews, or the reader in
Outlook Express or Thunderbird) can access it. Either
rec.crafts.rubberstamps or rec.crafts.scrapbooks (I forget which) was
originally a Google-only group that was later accepted into Usenet. I
didn't read it until after it was a Usenet newsgroup, and would not likely
read a group that was not in Usenet.

Other newsgroups have a practice of their members having a free website
where they can post photos of their artwork (or whatever). A popular one is
webshots, but Flikr is also a possibility. A member will just put a link in
his/her signature line that resolves to his/her website. I have a scrapbook
site, but over the holidays plan to add some of my rubberstamping.

Gina
http://community.webshots.com/user/ginainva