Old July 5th 04, 01:01 PM
Dr. Brat

Jeanine3 wrote:
I see nothing (could have missed it) under "fair use" that directly
mentions translations, however I did find this:

http://www.legal-database.com/derivative-work.htm

Please forgive me as pasting it here is probably copyright infringement
so I just put the url. It's supposed to be "easy to understand" but I
don't understand it at all. :-(

Essentially it says that if your work is based on somebody else's idea
(as a translation must be) then you have no copyright protection because
you are infringing on the original author's, unless you got permission
to derive from their work. However, that assumes you are deriving the
whole work. That's what I meant about getting permission to translate.
But fair use applies to works that are used for educational purposes
and where you only use a bit and that should include translations.

If the work you are translating is under copyright to the original
writer, here is what you must consider in order to decide if you need
permission to translate: http://www.starr.net/is/fu.html. Fair use also
demands that you cite the original author and that you note that the
translation is yours (or whoever's).

BTW, pasting that paragraph on derivative work, with a citation, would
not have been copyright infringement. It would have been fair use
because you would have been posting a portion of a larger work for
purposes of discussion.

Elizabeth