Old March 28th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Expensive yarns???

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have moved up to the more expensive yarns since my knitting has
improved a bit. I just purchased 3 balls of wool blend yarn for $40 to
make a single scarf for my oldest daughter. I rec'd a cashmere scarf
for Christmas, two years ago, and it had the tag on it for $29.99. It
is very nice looking and wonderful to the touch.

As I progressed in my knitting, especially for myself I have turned away
from acrylics. I use them for the grandkids, since my daughter puts
everything in the washer and dryer. Thank gosh for superwash wool/nylon
sock yarn! If your daughter will really appreciate the scarf and the yarn,
then it is definitely worth it to buy nice yarn.

It seems, to me anyway, that the non-acrylic yarns are all a bit too
expensive. With so many yarn competitors in the market I am surprised
at the high cost. Am I being to cheap or what?

Well, maybe you just haven't come all the way into appreciating the nicer
yarns yet. There are many places, especially on the net where you can buy
beautiful yarn and not pay the full price. I have bought a lot of yarn from
Elann.com (one of my knitting friends thinks I have shares in the company -
ha, ha). Some people really like Knit Picks. I haven't bought from them,
but know people who have and they think the quality of their yarns is very
good and so is are their prices.

I have raised sheep on the farm and I have an inkling of how much a
pound of wool costs to raise and, well it all seems way too much!
Perhaps, I should return to the farm and raise wool myself, eh?

The smaller artisan-types making their own hand dyed yarns probably charge
more, and if you find something you like, well then it's worth the price. I
have a feeling that keeping sheep, shearing them, processing the fleeces,
spinning them into yarns, dyeing the products/fleeces, etc etc is very time
consuming and probably quite expensive, so I wonder how many of us really do
appreciate it and would be willing to pay the prices to the people who do
all the work.

Here's an example: I was perusing Elann's site a few weeks ago and found a
thick 'n thin 100% wool yarn in a gorgeous colour. Their yarn is pretty
much always discounted, so I decided I had to have it to make a felted tote
bag. The cost of that yarn, not including shipping was $70 Canadian. So,
now I have a tote bag I really love, that I made myself.... but the reality
is, I probably wouldn't have bought the finished product if I saw it in a
show. I wouldn't have paid someone the price to have it, but I paid the
price for the yarn so I could make it. Go figure..... and - I sure don't
have money to blow; just decided it would be my little gift to me.

I have kind of rambled on here, so don't know if I really answered your
questions or not (smile)......

Happy knitting!
Shelagh