Old February 21st 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy Spera

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On 2/20/2017 1:04 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:
About a month ago I started this cross stitch:
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Silver...attern/12-1083

It looked simple and quick, but I made so many mistakes on that big snowflake on the right I ended up having to rip it out three times...the third time I ended up ripping the linen so bad I had to THROW THE PROJECT OUT. In over 20 years of stitching that has never happened to me!

This experience gave me pause, and I decided to looking into gridding my fabric (I've never done it before). It was horrible gridding on linen and I thought I was going to go blind. No matter how careful I was I ended up one hole off, and after five hours of this frustration I gave up.

I think I might just grid the snowflake part and not the entire linen when I try this piece again. I honestly wonder if gridding takes more time and effort than ripping out mistakes or starting over.

Do you guys grid? Do you do it on linen? I used the below tutorial for learning how to grid, but do you have any other suggestions to make it easier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6mWyo4z10&t=1s

The only time I gridded my fabric was a "stained glass window" with
How Great Thou Art. It really helped with the half and quarter
stitches. It's the cover piece for my album on rctnp It was only
28 count. Can't imagine doing that on 32. I find at my almost
Medicare age that I'm using my mother's Dazor magnifying lamp more
and more.

So nice to see activity in rctn.

Nancy