Old September 27th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

Default Ladies Workbook - free ebooks

On 27 Sep 2006 00:56:06 -0700, "Vintage Purls"
wrote:

Hi all,

B Vaughan wrote:
One of the books I found was the Ladies Workbook of Knitting, Crochet
and Lacepoint.

If you like vintage knitting things (which I most certainly do) Mrs
Beeton's Book of Needlework also has interesting chapters on Knitting
and crochet. You can download an unillustrated version free from
Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15147

The woman who was selling the Ladies Workbook on tradebit says that
she is working on transcribing Mrs. Beeton's book.

I noticed that she didn't just scan the Ladies Workbook. She also
added a table of contents with links to the various sections, and she
translated some of the abbreviations into their more modern
equivalents. At least I least I think so, because pattern repeats in
the free version I downloaded from manybooks.net were marked with an
"X", while in the version on tradebit.com, they were marked with an *.

I also have a couple of vintage patterns on my website
(http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz). These are more than 50 years old (and
don't have identifiable authors) so they are out of copyright (in New
Zealand anyway). I do plan to add some more (I've quite stash of
vintage patterns), is anyone looking for something particular?

Thanks, I'll have a look as soon as my slow connection digests Mrs.
Beeton.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.