Old February 25th 09, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

Default Market for imperfect gemstones?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:06:32 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jman
wrote:

I have a question concerning RAW diamond or Utility diamond as some
refer to it. It's typically brownish in color. Do you know the type
of which I am refferring to ? I would like to obtain some of that
stone and don't know where to get it.

Usually called industrial diamond or just uncut diamond crystals. RAW simply
means uncut, which could be gem grade or not. That word is not a common used
one, at least not that I've seen. Uncut, natural crystals, etc. yes. Utility?
never heard that word applied to diamonds at all, but maybe I've been living in
a cave or something.. As to a source, for true industrial stuff, normally used
for cutting tools, I can't help you, at least not in usably larger sizes.
Abrasive grit is easily enough found through lapidary dealers. But for better
looking/attractive natural diamond crystals, you can find a number of sellers on
ebay, and usually the gem shows that commonly travel around the country often
have at least a few dealers who'll happen to have a few decent looking diamond
cube crystals as specimin pieces. A couple of the ebay sellers often have nice
natural crystals that are actually bordering on gem grade, or even gem grade.
I've seen some quite white and mostly clear looking octahedral crystals offered.
Some might even be cutable. More expensive than the typically non-transparent
little cubic crystals you also see offered. A number of well known art
jewelers enjoy using these stone in preference to the typical cut gems. Totally
different look, yet still diamond. By the way, colors, while often in the
yellow to brown range, can be a wider range. Milky white to grey, for example,
is also common.

I wouldn't mind finding a
respectable supplier of those 'slightly' included stones of which you
both mentioned as well....

Any decent gem dealer will have such. Most natural gemstones fall into that
catagory with at least some inclusions. Those few gem types that are commonly
available in a pretty clean state, are still available with more inclusions,
usually pretty cheaply. Again, such stones are not hard to find. They make up
the bulk of the gemstone trade. That includes diamonds, as well, by the way.
Any decent diamond dealer will have a good supply, maybe a majority with some
dealers, of the at least slightly visibly (sometimes with a bit of
magnification) included stones, than really clean ones. Flawless natural
diamonds are quite rare, not to mention rather costly..

Peter