Old March 4th 04, 07:06 PM
BEI Design

SewStorm wrote:
I have always _cut out_ using pinking shears (taught to do that by
my mother, the perfectionist).

Odd that your mother is a perfectionist and does this, since
cutting with pinking shears is an inexact way to cut.

No, it isn't. What makes you think cutting what is essentially a
_6/8"_ seam allowance instead of 5/8" is inexact? That's exactly what
I do, and I don't have to contend with raveling raw edges _as I sew_.
It really saves a lot of time and frustration to have the edge-finish
done right from the beginning. Mom died in 1971, but while she was
alive designed and made couture clothing for some of the wealthy
people in our area. She developed many time-saving methods, but never
sacrifices quality, which is why she had such a devoted clientele.

I much prefer
to trim later, and know that my seam allowance is an exact distance
from the cut edge.

But, see above...my seam allowances are an "exact distance" from the
cut edge, it's just a 3/4" seam allowance instead of 5/8". If you
were to cut a 3/4" seam allowance with straight shears, would you
still think it was inexact?

One thing that helps ravelly fabrics is to keep them pinned to the
pattern paper until just before you sew them together. This works
for patterns cut on the bias, also.

After snipping notches and marking other construction bits, I usually
do leave each pattern piece pinned to its corresponding fabric. That
in no way reduces raveling, though.

Different strokes :-)

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---