Old March 3rd 04, 10:59 AM
Kate Dicey

BEI Design wrote:

wrote in message
What do you do with a fabric that frays while sewing?

I have always _cut out_ using pinking shears (taught to do that by my
mother, the perfectionist). This prevents the edges fraying while you
are working with the pieces, and you can either leave it pinked or
serge it later. It takes a little time to get accustomed to adding
the depth of the "pinks" to your seam allowance, but I've been doing
it so long it's second nature. In my case, my shears leave a 1/8"
depth, so I sew with the outer points at the 3/4" line. When I
finally get some of my bridal pictures uploaded to the Happiest When
Sewing group, you'll be able to see that all the satin and taffeta
pieces are pinked.

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Now, I hate cutting out with pinking sheers! WAAAY too clumsy! BUT I
love them for trimming certain things later, and softening the edges of
trimmed and graded layers... 'Bout the ONLY thing I cut out with them
(and then not always) is fusible interfacing for jacket parts! Each of
us
has our preferred methods!

--
Kate XXXXXX