Old August 16th 04, 03:56 AM
merrystitch

Default It's too small!!

I am making a quilt for DS & DIL2B for Christmas. DS loves fishing, so when
the LQS was having a class for a flannel log cabin with appliquéd fish on
the border, I thought it would be perfect. I went to the class, followed
the instructions given by the teacher & made my 36 blocks. I stitched 6
rows of 6 & when I laid them out on the bed, they looked sooooo small (58 x
58). At this point, I got out the pattern. Seems the block on the pattern
had 13 pieces, but ours had only 9, making the 12 1/2" block only 9 1/2.
Instructor told us not to follow the pattern as written, but to just do a
scrappy log cabin, which means any additional pieces on each block would be
extremely obvious.

Now what do I do?

1. do I try to match the fabrics (purchased 2 months ago) & make more
blocks.
2. Add borders to increase size--if so, any suggestions? Flying geese?
Before or after the original border which is supposed to be 8 inches with
the appliquéd fish.
3. Keep this quilt for something else & start all over.

As I am looking at an article in QNM March 2004, it lists the size for queen
comforter as 88 x 94.

I'm so tired tonight, I guess I'll go to bed & have nightmares about it.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Merrystitch