Old January 14th 04, 05:32 AM
Dan Lehman

(Brian Grimley) wrote:
[...wrote:]
Do the terms "capsize" and "spill" mean the same thing?

No, "capsize and spill" is a sensible, non-redundant expression,
just as is "dress and set".

I would usually use the word capsize to mean that the knot under
tension collapses into another knot. ...

I would use the word spill to mean that the knot unties. ...
To return to the reef knot, I would say that if an end of a reef knot
is snagged, then it may capsize into a lark's head and spill.

I concur in Brian's statement.
The Reef can capsize & spill, as he noted. It seems that Bolwines
often capsize in mooring hawsers, but they don't spill (they jam).

Specifically, does any one word refer to the way a knot changes
shape when tightened (as the carrick bend does)...

Well, I think I'd only call that "capsizing" if the knot had been
siezed in its open, lattice form, and the seizings had yielded.
But you have the idea.

--dl*
====