Old January 12th 04, 05:11 PM
Brian Grimley

"Jostmo" wrote:

Do the terms "capsize" and "spill" mean the same thing?

I would usually use the word capsize to mean that the knot under
tension collapses into another knot. For example, I would say that if
you pull apart both ends on one side of a reef knot, it will capsize
into a lark's head around the second end (rope).

I would use the word spill to mean that the knot unties. For example,
if you pull on the end of a slipped half hitch it spills. That is, you
are left with a piece of rope with no knot in it.

To return to the reef knot, I would say that if an end of a reef knot
is snagged, then it may capsize into a lark's head and spill.

As a further example, if you look at the "one handed" or the "trick"
way to tie a bowline (ABOK 1014), then depending on how you pull on
the rope, the Marlinspike Hitch will capsize into a bowline or will
spill.

Specifically, does any one word refer to the way a knot changes shape when
tightened (as the carrick bend does)...

If you are starting out with the flat form of the carrick bend
(unseized), then I would say that it collapses or deforms into its
final form or shape. (may not be generally used)

and is there any term that refers to a
knot becoming mis-shapen and useless (probably because it was tied
incorrectly.)

I would say that "this is the tangled mess (Not a Knot :-))that we are
left with when I make that mistake" :-). I might also say it capsizes
into this mis-shapen and useless tangle.

Jostmo: I think that this is a great question! Since the definition
and usage of words is quite varied, I look forward to reading other
people's answers to your question. When I think about it, I tend to
use the word "collapse" rather than "capsize" - probably incorrectly.

Brian.