Old July 8th 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.knots
DantesBeard

Default Help me identify 'Iron Knot'. A 'self releasing knot'.

On Jul 6, 9:54 am, wrote:
On Jul 5, 8:21 pm, DantesBeard wrote:

I hope someone here can help me with instructions for a knot.
A few years ago, a guy showed me what he called an 'Iron Knot'. It
will hold any weight, even up to the breaking point of the rope, but
when the tension is released the knot comes apart. Useful for lowering
buckets off a roof for example. When the bucket lands on the ground,
the knot falls open and you can pull the rope back up.

It was practical and elegantly simple. And I forgot how to make it
before I made notes.
I'd be grateful for any help so I can stop kicking myself.

Best, and thanks,
DB.

You may have seen a half hitch arranged in a certain way, such that
its nipped end is placed on the far side of the object. Something
like this:

http://www.ruckus.org/albums/album26/half_hitch.gif

Depending on the rope and the object, it may not spring open and self
release when you want. And using such a trick may result in a spilled
load.

You may also want to look at this hitch:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/tumblehitch.html

Thank you for the leads. the Tumblehitch is similar to what I can
recall, but you have to draw the opposite end to release it. I think
the Iron Knot did have a loop which was nipped or trapped. I think I
made a comment at the time that it seemed similar to how I was taught
to tie a Bowline with one hand, the 'standing part remaining passive'
just like in the Tumblehitch instructions.

Thanks again,
The search continues...
DB