Old September 15th 17, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Default OT, but not totally: another Amazon gift certificate for givingblood.

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 23:31:16 -0700, Brian Christiansen wrote:
Recently, I got another Amazon gift certificate for giving blood, and I
am pondering what to do with it.

I recently have looked at several videos on YouTube and elsewhere about
machine quilting with a singer Featherweight.

The videos and blogs that I looked at said 4 basic things: since the
featherweight has such a small harp, it just isn't possible to quilt
anything much bigger than a crib quilt; the feed dogs have to be covered
since the featherweight does not have the ability to drop the feed dogs,
the motor should be allowed to cool between quilting an area that is
perhaps at most 1ft(.3 meters) x 1ft, and of course that you need a
darning/free motion presser foot.

Um... I used to quilt on a 301, same harp size. Roll up the quilt and do
it in sections. Twin bed sized quilts are pretty easy, doubles can be done.
Or look into "quilt as you go" methods. The old fashioned spring bicycle
clips that keep your pants hems from being eaten are useful for holding a
rolled quilt for quilting.

One video put a little doodad (I looked at the featherweight shop to see
if I could figure out the name of the little doodad, but I could not
seem to find it) over the feed dogs, and a person in another video used
a Teflon press cloth with a hole cut for the needle to do this. I am
not sure if Amazon sells the feed dog covering doodad, but they do sell
Teflon press cloths. I also got to wondering if something I already
have might work, such as aluminum foil, parchment paper, or freezer paper.

I've used a 3x5 card or a piece of file folder for a feed dog cover. Punch a hole
for the needle, tape down the outside edges. Set the stitch length to 0 and
you're in business.