Old April 27th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass,rec.crafts.pottery
Moonraker

Default Anyone building their own kilns?

"Byrd" wrote in message
I am trying to get started doing some glass and pottery crafting. I am
having to do it on my own and with the aid of some books. I live 150 mi
from the nearest school with any similar art programs and probably

couldn't
afford the tuition if it was next store, we're barely affording keeping

the
daughter in.

I was interested in a large Bell style kiln but there's no way in hell I

can
afford to buy one, unless maybe someone knows of a benefactor with deep
pockets who would take pity on 50 something, gimpy old man (chuckle). Has
anyone built their own and how hard is it?

I have ordered a book by Halem, there is supposed to be some good
information in it.

I need my kiln to be wheelchair friendly and was wanting to have two

rolling
tables (also wheelchair accessible) so I could be loading / unloading one
while the other was firing. I was thinking about a convertible kiln, ie;

3' x 6' x 2' but I had the idea to maybe section it so I could isolate

half
of it for smaller firings. and also lower it down a little farther if I
don't need the depth/height.

I was given an 18" old (50's maybe) ceramic kiln that I would like to use
for some glass and pottery as well. It just basically a 3 position switch
which controls the 2 elements. I can't find any info on it. but I was
wondering what was available as far as kiln programmers are available.

I have 3 old dos and win98 machines and was wondering if anyone ever tried
to use a PC as a kiln controller? ...... and what else would be needed.
Are there any resources (websites, books, etc) that tackle this sort of
thing?

Thanks,
Byrd

Hey, Byrd...

Might I suggest you surf on over to www.warmglass.com and register there for
the forums? There is a pretty active newbies forum there and more than
6,000 members. You might find someone who lives nearby you and could tutor
you. Unless you have an insane desire to reinvent the wheel, you'll
probably spend as much money and a lot more time in building a kiln as you
would to buy a new one. You can buy controllers (or build your own) to run
the kiln you have now. What brand is it and what are the power requirements
and size (inside)?

While on the warmglass site, order the book by Brad Walker and (if you are
$$ able), order the book by Richard LaLonde. Those two books should get you
started. The LaLonde book has some drawings and plans for some big kilns
that you might adapt.