Old November 19th 11, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

Default Hopping Feet etc. (Was: Dazor lights/magnifiers)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
The best foot for free-motion quilting? There's just not a 'one-size fits
all' for that question. Actually, I don't think 'one-size fits all'
anything ever fit any body.
My favorite is a metal circle with a spring on its shank(?) . I
by-pass the one with the opening in the front (sort of looks like a
horseshoe). Now and then it would poke its open toe into a stitch and
cause a little mayhem. Bernina gave us one that is a clear plastic sort of
rectangle; it sits ignored.
At first, I used what I think was called a Big Foot. Broke a couple
before I realized that I didn't like them anyway. The light would reflect
from it and bounce into my eyes which was rather annoying and it hid where
I'd been and where I was going. IMHO - of course. Polly

Oh, I so agree about the ones with the so-called clearview plastic feet.
They are not clearview! I cannot see what I'm doing because of the
reflections. The small circular ones are the best. And I like the hopping
variety over the one that came with the Janome Horizon. It doesn't hop.
You adjust it to rest lightly on the quilt. This is fine for whole-cloth
quilts, but if you have seams, you are either always adjusting the foot, or
it is hanging up.

Iris