Old January 7th 05, 02:25 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:12:04 -0800, in hõ "Marilee J. Layman"
wrote:

Yes, if they're stringing a piece, some people will color the
stringing material. But I've seen many strings in bead stores where
the beads have clearly been dyed on the string -- the intensity of the
color on the string is stronger between the beads.

The reason for my scepticism is that in general, the dyes and dying processes that are
required to force dyes into a stone, are often not processes that would be friendly to
the stringing cords. Info I've read on gemstone dying processes often suggests dye
baths that are highly alkaline or highly acidic, and often also involve heating, as well
as time periods that are at least days long, and in some cases, weeks long. That
leaves me wondering whether what you've seen was due perhaps to abrasion of the cord by
the rough interior surfaces of the drill hole abrading the cord a bit and affecting
color, or whether the dying used was only intended to color the cord, knowing it would
have little effect on the stones themselves. Among other things, if the intent really
were to color the stones, I'd guess it imperative that the dye fully reach the interior
of the drill hole, who's rough surface is much more likely to accept a dye color and
hold it, than the polished surfaces of the exterior of the bead. And if that were
happening, then I'd expect the color of the cord inside the drill hole to perhaps even
be brighter, since it then would not subsequently be as fully rinsed off again as would
the area of the knots. That the knots or spaces between beads are brighter or more
intense color suggests to me just a quick dip in fabric dye to color the cord, a process
that would have little effect on the stones themselves..

But I'll also readily admit that I'm working here from conjecture, not absolute
knowledge, and what you've seen may indeed have been beads where the beads themselves
were dyed. I've not seen that personally, but then it's been a few years since I was
actively buying beads in any quantity, so perhaps things have changed. Most of the
stones I deal with these days are cut as cabs or faceted, and for those, I'll still
maintain that dyed peridot or amethyst are highly unlikely.

cheers

Peter