Old February 28th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

Update of thread: stitching on different fabrics with bad eyes

I ordered a bunch of fabrics online which arrived a couple days go and spent some time experimenting with stitching on them. If anyone else is having eye trouble this post might help you.

Aida: I ordered various fabrics from 14ct to 20ct. These fabrics were very high quality from Picture This Plus and Wichelt...they were wonderfully soft, hand-dyed, and a couple had some lovely opalescent sparkle. Surprisingly I found the lower count Aida (14-16) more difficult to stitch on as the treads are father apart and it's easy to get your needle caught "between" threads (if that makes any sense). As Rich said, I also found it harder to place the needle in the right spot when coming from the back of the fabric.

However the higher counts of Aida (18-20) I was very impressed with. They were about the same as stitching on any even weave except easier on the eyes.. As far as looks go, it's really not that different looking from linen IMHO. I'm so glad someone here suggested higher count Aida to me!

Linen: Oddly enough I find stitching on 32ct linen to be easier than 28ct. I think the larger holes in the 28ct are playing some tricks on my eyes, perhaps because I can see through the linen and the shadows underneath my lap stand confuse the eye. 32ct linen is pretty much the only one I can comfortably stitch on, as the higher counts (40ct especially) are simply impossible for me between my bad eyesight and my wrecked hands.

So there you go...if any one is having trouble with their eyes I do encourage you to check out 18-20ct aida. There can be a bit of a stigma about sewing on aida, but the quality of the fabric has really gone up these days...it's not the cheap, cardboard stiff fabric of the past. Give it a try!