Old January 2nd 04, 05:23 PM
Sjpolyclay

But are you sure conditioning actually aligns the molecules, and that the
clay needs this alignment to be strong? Mica is waaay bigger than molecules
(in general),

Mica IS bigger, which makes it nicely visible to the non-believers that this
could be happening. But it really does. Polymers are long chains of molecules,
and Judith Skinner demonstrated to my skeptical self at our retreat this year
that it really does make a difference to align them. She swears there is an
"grain" to sheets of clay, similar to fabric and wood, and it really does make
a small but noticeable strength difference. I'm a believer now! If you are
going for long term art, then this is important--if you just want something for
now, then its not a big deal.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com