Old February 23rd 17, 01:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 3:40:14 PM UTC-6, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 2/21/2017 5:39 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

Joan, thanks for suggesting the alternative way to grid...I
think working from the center out (verse trying to do the outside
edge first) might be an easier way to go.

Also, I want to ask you about Aida...I want to try some and see
how it works out. snip How does one know cheap Aida from
quality Aida? Is there a price range or brand you can recommend?

The stuff that comes in the precut packages is pretty cheap...very stiff
to work with. The stuff from Charles Craft (in the tubes at places like
Michael's or Hobby Lobby) is okay stuff. If you order it from the bolt
from somewhere like Nordic Needle, it's nicer to work with. Some aida
cloth is made from blended fibers and has a different name, like Salem
cloth. That's a *dream* to work with, nice and soft, especially if you
want it for something like bread cloths that will drape. I use that for
the baptism cloths I make for our church.

HTH!

--
Joan

Thanks Joan for the excellent tips! I'm thinking the higher count aida could really be the ticket for me...I'll see how it goes as I stitch up the "No winter lasts forever" project. Since the craft stores around here only carry that cheap, pre-cut stuff you mentioned (which is as stiff as cardboard), I didn't realize there were better Aidas out there. I'm going to stitch the Rabbit Run Spool on 20ct aida too...I simply can't suffer 40ct linen at my age.