Old July 2nd 03, 05:10 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On , in rec.crafts.jewelry "Mark" wrote:

That is his usual style, although he does sometime include a tiny nugget of
help from his vast storehouse of ............Hmmm can't think of a nice way
to describe what I think his vast storehouse is.

Abrasha is indeed sometimes rather, um.... blunt. Some readers, especially
beginners, don't know what to make of that. Other readers, especially those
nice minded folks reading Abrashas posts which are answers to OTHER people, get
offended. But for the record, while he often skips the nice tone, and gentle
bedside manners, , I've generally found over the years that his information is
accurate. It is, of course, only one point of view. But his message on
starting an online business reflects not only his years of doing the same
himself, but also the reality of the fact that very few online web based
businesses ever really take off and become true successes unless lucky, and very
well financed. People with lesser means, but also lesser expectations, may
find ways to make a modest small profit. Many readers of this group do exactly
that. But it's true, nevertheless, that the percentage of those who try to do
it, who actually manage to live full time off web sales of their jewelry are in
the minority. If it's rude and nasty and unsupportive to come right out and say
that, well, that's a shame. With some things, sometimes in't not easy to state
things gently, and Abrasha generally isn't known for trying to do so. Still,
like it or not, his information is, indeed, often right on the money.

Most often, his info regards jewelry making and the craft of this stuff. In
that regard, I'd dare say there are only a few in this group's readership who's
skills equal his. He may be curt and sparing with his help, but when it's
offered, it's good info.

Trust me. There is indeed a "vast storehouse" of that info there. consider
yourselves luck to now and then get a little bit of it offered.

And remember that while a rudely direct, but accurate informative post, such as
Abrasha's, is entirely within this groups charter limits and fully allowed,
personal attacks are NOT. The last two posts in this thread don't offer as much
info on the craft of jewelry as they do opinions and negative personal thoughts
addressed to Abrasha.

Mr. A has been playing by the rules regarding flames and personal attacks very
nicely for several years now. I trust those of you who find his manners not to
your liking will also do the same.

You do not have to be nice. But you do have to keep things professional and
neutral. Abrasha's post wasn't nasty at all. It merely was blunt, and honestly
portrayed his opinion that the described course of action was a bad business
move, likely headed for failure and financial loss. You may not agree. Go
ahead and debate the issue.

But steer clear of personal attacks. I'll stop them from Abrasha, if he
chooses to stoop that low, and I'll stop them from you other readers if you do
the same. And in this thread, you others are a lot closer to that.

Remember that these aren't my rules. You readers, or others like you, wrote the
charter and asked me to moderate the group according to it. If you wish to
change these rules, feel free to discuss it in the group. I'll be happy to
follow whatever group opinions prevail at any given time.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry