Old February 7th 04, 03:21 PM
Julia Altshuler

Eli wrote:
I thought maybe I was overreacting because it was late last night but it
looks worse this morning... I really think it's un-quiltable. The woman
who's quilting it has a long arm and if it won't lay flat, can she quilt it?
I could cry. It's too late to start another quilt and I've already invested
tons of time and $ in this one...

Your quilt can be quilted. Pin baste the heck out it. Put the pins 2
inches apart over the worst of the poofy parts. Even one inch apart.
Now machine quilt it normally. That means first dividing it into
sections by quilting long lines that transverse the whole quilt, then
going back to quilt more heavily within the sections. The very worst
that will happen to a misshapen, poofy quilt that won't lie flat is that
you'll get tiny pin tucks on the surface of the quilt. That's not the
end of the world. I suggest Warm & Natural batting. I had far more
trouble with poofy and pin tucks the one time I used a polyester batt.

--Lia