Old March 14th 09, 08:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_]

Default any one working on a project

Olwyn.Mary wrote:

Then I'm taking a break and sewing some to beef up my work wardrobe
before I go back to knitting, at which time I am going to do a cotton
sweater that I don't have the yarn for yet.

Samantha!! I thought you worked from home. Have you changed jobs
without telling us???????

(Cross-posting to alt.sewing and RCTS because I don't think I ever got
around to telling everybody there, either, and I might as well say it to
everybody all at once)

I still work part-time from home, but I periodically lose accounts and
the pay has finally dropped to the point where I can no longer afford to
work at what the new accounts want to pay me, so last year when I lost
over half my work (three separate people I was subbing for) all at once
and didn't feel like I could take another 30% pay cut after having taken
a 40% pay cut in 2004, I started looking for in-house jobs. After six
months of sending resumes, telephone interviews, and in-person
interviews, I finally found a full-time, in-house job 4 miles from my
house with moderately flexible scheduling (I have to put in 40 hours per
week any time between 8:45 am and 6 pm M through F -- no weekends, paid
holidays, and a paid vacation, which three things feel like heaven). I
absolutely DETEST getting up and going to work in the morning (that is,
especially after I have already done my part-time, at-home work) and
being gone for that long, and my little dog (who I might not have gotten
if I had known that I was going to end up going out to work two months
after I got her) misses me terribly while I'm gone, but if the job fairy
had come down and given me the best job I could have realistically
gotten, she couldn't have found anything better. But the schedule is
grueling and after six months on the job (I get a half-hour lunch break
and several days a week I spend it knitting because there isn't enough
time to go anywhere or do anything) I still haven't figured out how to
pack a decent lunch and I still can't keep my focus for 8 hours
straight, but I am getting better.

It's still transcribing medical records, but instead of listening to
audio recordings all day, I transcribe from the doctors notes, cribbing
from the patient's previous visit note. This is TONS better than
transcribing from audio all day long, a lot more mentally stimulating,
and a lot less stressful on the old borderline RSI problems.