Old October 23rd 04, 11:53 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"K9Rulez" wrote in message
.. .
Hello, I'm interested in buying a long arm quilting machine. Does anyone
have any reccomendations on which ones to buy and where to buy them?

Here's my standard answer.

Longarms are like cars. The features that work well for me won't necessarily
work well for you, and vice versa. Therefore test driving is *not* optional.

Ideally, first you'd take a full day class on a machine. Doesn't matter what
brand, you just need to get familiar with these beasts, and be comfortable
with it. Many dealers offer just such classes, very reasonably, and will
even credit the cost to a purchase. Yes, you may have to drive a bit, but
this is a big purchase. It will be really worth your while.

Then, you need to get your hands on more machines. Quilt shows are one place
to do it, but they can be crowded, so arrive early and be patient. Many
dealers have used machines in their shops, and that's another way to test
drive. Many of the longarm teachers travel around the country, teaching in
people's houses, and that's another way to test drive. (And even to get that
beginner's class in!) Does the movement of the machine fit your style of
quilting better? Is it easier to advance the quilt? Easier to smooth the
batting? How is it to load? Thread? Do the bells and whistles help or get in
the way? Can the frame be easily adjusted for your height and reach? If
you're looking at a regulated machine, can you outrun it? Are the stitches
even? Is there a long stitch at the points?

At this spot, most people who are looking at longarms are saying to
themselves "hey, she wants me to do a lot of work. I just wanted an easy
answer!" LOL Guess what -- there are no easy answers when it comes to
longarms. Most of the major makers have good machines, but they are all
different, which is great, because every longarmer has a different style of
quilting. (Which is also great!)

So, if you're still with me, here's some links:

http://www.thequiltedrose.com
http://lequilters.com
http://houseofhanson.com
http://www.gammill.net
http://www.nolting.com
http://www.apqs.com

That should keep you busy for a while. Have fun!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps